Tuesday, June 06, 2006

UNLEASHED! THE COMMUNICATION RESEARCHER.

Greetings, all, to the inaugural entry in the Pravdakid blog. After months of pondering the idea of starting my own blog, I have decided to take the leap. I have avoided blogging for some time, largely because I regard blogs as something akin to tattoos: I'd be perfectly interested in getting a tattoo, but not until I find something worth inking on my body. And, you know, I just don't have the certainty about indelible marks on my body that this involves. Blogs are like tattoos because they are closely linked to self-revelation, and because they last a long time. Sure, they can be edited much more easily than the fairy/devil/mother's name/girlfriend's name we see on so many young people's bodies today. Embarrassing comments can be wiped out very quickly. Still, I think I can learn much more if I decide to leave in all the idiotic crap I come up with, and learn from my mistakes.

So, fine. But what will I address in this blog? For the most part, I will address the issues that consume me: research and theory in media studies. I make no claims (yet) about the quality of any of my future posts, but I can promise that I will try to keep things thought-provoking.

My friend and colleague at Lake Forest College, Bob Archambeau, inspired/irritated me until I started this. I can only assume that more inspiration and irritation will continue. That's what it's all about. His blog--samizdat--is in many ways the model for what I'm going to try to do here.

My first 'real' post should come soon. Hope you're along for the ride.

2 Comments:

Blogger Archambeau said...

I'm totally with you re: blogs and tattoos. In fact, I'm having your first blog entry painstakingly tattood on my butt by a really nice guy named Snake right now.

4:11 PM  
Blogger pravdakid said...

Snake does good work. He put the First Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Thessalonians on my left thigh last year.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home